Finally a LEGO Advent Calendar for Christmas that will keep the kids busy! I have always wanted to get my act together and do a LEGO Christmas countdown with my son. However, I always remember a hair too late and then scrap the idea. This year I am on top of it, and I am keeping it inexpensive with Christmas mini builds using our own bricks. This is a fabulous frugal LEGO Advent Calendar!
LEGO ADVENT CALENDAR FOR KIDS
LEGO COUNTDOWN CALENDAR
Each day of this LEGO Countdown Calendar, my son will receive a new packet containing just the LEGO bricks he needs to build a specific holiday-themed item. I included all the bricks I used to make on each project on the Lego Advent Calendar cards.
Reading: christmas countdown lego
ALSO CHECK OUT: Unique LEGO Gifts For Adults and Kids
Whether he makes it the way it is shown or comes up with a new holiday LEGO design, is up to him. The fun is in the challenge, and I am excited to see what he will build with his LEGO Advent Calendar!
I also made and included in the printable Lego Christmas project cards, this fun Lego brick to help them visually countdown. You can do the projects in order, or have them cross off each project as they do them,
DIY LEGO ADVENT CALENDAR SUPPLIES
YOU WILL NEED:
- FREE Printable Christmas Advent Calendar (Scroll down to print your own copy.)
- Printable Lego Advent Calendar project cards (Purchase the pack here)
- Small paper bags, gift bags, etc to hold Legos for the projects each day.
- Labels, gift tags, paper cut-outs, and clothespins to seal the bags.
- LEGO! Walmart has a fantastic sale on a great set of bricks here. It’s perfect to add to your collection – I bought two sets! You can make all 24 Lego Advent projects using two sets of these Legos without ever repeating a brick!
HOW TO MAKE UP YOUR LEGO ADVENT CALENDAR
STEP 1. CREATE YOUR BAGS
Here’s how to get your bags set up for your Christmas Countdown Calendar!
- Cut out 25 circles of red and green construction paper.
- Then number each circle from 1 to 25.
- Glue them to the clothespins.
What else could you do?
- Get Creative. You could also label the bags directly, stick gift labels on the bags, or write on the clothespins. It’s a fun opportunity for you to get creative or just use our idea!
- Cards. Use the printable cards and keep them in a stocking, gift bag, or bowl, and have them reach in and pull out a project card each day!
STEP 2. FILL THE BAGS
The best part of our LEGO countdown calendar is that you can make the LEGO building ideas using the LEGO bricks you already have. I have a list of suggestions to get you started and will show you the different designs we came up with.
My son is still young and I want this to be a fun, independent as much as possible, project for him to do each day. I will keep our LEGO designs simple and manageable. Older kids can make their LEGO Christmas builds as complicated and intricate as they wish. Some of the more elaborate LEGO ideas have their own post.
Tips for filling your LEGO advent calendar bags:
- Prep. Add the exact bricks for very simple LEGO building ideas such as the ones you will see here like a candy cane, Santa hat, tree, Christmas candle, or snowman.
- Cards. Use the printable cards I created to see the projects completed and the bricks used to make them. They also include suggestions or changes to add to the day’s challenge too!
- Christmas Sets. You could also supplement with a few new Christmas LEGO sets. A larger LEGO Christmas set will have small elements kids can build and place out as a Christmas scene. This is more expensive. However, you will have plenty of supplies for years to come. I will put some suggestions at the end of this article.
- Older Kids. For older kids, adding bricks ahead of time may not be necessary. Instead just have them use the printable building cards or refer to the pictures below.
- Work Together. Leave a LEGO note for a building challenge that you and your young child will do together. This will save you prep work beforehand but make sure you follow up on your offer!
A BONUS CHRISTMAS GIFT FOR YOU…
—>>> FREE LEGO Challenge Calendar
LEGO ADVENT CALENDAR IDEAS
— > If you want a full set of done-for-you cards and more fun Christmas theme LEGO challenges, you will want to snag the quick LEGO Christmas Advent Calendar Pack!
I am by no means a master LEGO builder. These simple ideas will get you thinking and creating! See what you can do with the pictures below.
1. SANTA’S ELF
Santa’s Elf is a great day one project to get this advent calendar rolling!
2. CHRISTMAS BELL
Ring in the Christmas season with a Lego Christmas bell!
3. CHRISTMAS WREATH
This simple Christmas wreath is such a classic piece of Christmas decor!
4. MRS. CLAUS
Santa gets all his help and support from Mrs. Claus, so we had to include her in this Lego Christmas countdown!
5. GINGERBREAD MAN
This classic Christmas cookie makes an adorable Lego creation!
Crackling fires to roast chestnuts and hang stockings near are the perfect addition to this calendar!
7. SANTA’S REINDEER
This adorable reindeer is a great addition to this Christmas character lineup!
8. POLAR BEAR
Every winter wonderland has a resident polar bear!
9. SANTA CLAUS
The bringer of presents himself had to be included!
This cute penguin is ready for Christmas!
11. CHRISTMAS PRESENTS
Christmas presents come in all shapes and sizes, so these are always fun to build!
This Christmas icon is so much fun to build with Legos!
13. CHRISTMAS ORNAMENTS
Get creative with the colors on these fun Lego Christmas ornaments!
14. THE GRINCH
This Christmas thief is an iconic Christmas character we all know and love!
15. GINGERBREAD HOUSE
Making a gingerbread house is a tradition in our house, but making one with Legos is fun too!
16. CHRISTMAS TREE
There are so many ways you can make a Lego Christmas tree, but this way used up some Legos we hadn’t used yet!
17. CANDY CANE
This simple candy cane build is such a classic part of Christmas!
18. CHRISTMAS CANDLE
Add a bit f peace to your Lego Advent Calendar with this Christmas candle!
19. CHRISTMAS STAR
Make a star from the Christmas story!
Make your own winter wonderland snowman!
21. WINTER SLED
Sing Jingle Bells while you make this cute little winter sled!
22. CHRISTMAS TRAIN
Make a classic Christmas train to add to your Lego Christmas ideas!
23. SANTA’S HAT
Santa just isn’t himself without his hat!
24. CHRISTMAS STOCKING
Finish up your Lego Christmas Advent calendar with an iconic Christmas stocking!
How can you get creative with the bricks you already have in your collection. Here’s how we store all our bricks!
ALSO CHECK OUT: Homemade LEGO Christmas Cards
I know you and your kids will have a blast with this fun hands-on Lego Advent Calendar this year! Reuse it, again and again, each year too!
Grab the full LEGO challenge pack in our SHOP
ENJOY OUR LEGO ADVENT CALENDAR THIS SEASON!
Click here for more fun Christmas activities for kids.
MORE CHRISTMAS FUN…
- Lego Holiday Maze – make your own maze out of Legos!
- Lego Wreath Ornament – use Legos to make your very own Christmas tree ornaments!
- Simple Lego Christmas Ornaments – see more Lego Christmas ornament ideas here!
- Lego Christmas Cards – use Legos to paint these awesome Christmas cards for kids to make!