We are thrilled to announce the greatest of all time (G.O.A.T) beta (version 1.17.30.01)! Why do we call this the GOAT beta? Well, because we added goats!. We also added everything from the Nether update AND part one of the Cave and Cliffs Update plus new lessons, coding features and assessment tools as well! We are so excited to bring this update to you and your players. As with any beta, we welcome you to try out our new game before we release them to the general public. We can’t wait for you to play!
Please let us know all about the things you love, as well as challenges you run into by contributing to our GOAT Beta feedback thread.
From the Nether Update
Players asked us to bring in the Nether update and we listened! The Nether brings in so many exciting things to explore. Here are some of the highlights.
- Ancient Debris – Found throughout the Nether and can be refined into netherite scrap
- Basalt – Generates in soul sand Valleys and can be crafted into polished basalt
- Blackstone – Generates in basalt deltas and bastion remnants and can be used to items that require stone
- Crimson and Warped (Fungus, Nylium, Roots, and Stems) – generates in crimson and warped forests. Stems can be crafted into planks. Fungus and roots can be planted in pots.
- Crying Obsidian – Generates in ruined portals and can be used to craft respawn anchors
- Nether Bricks (Chiseled and Cracked) –
- Nether Gold Ore – Variant of blackstone that can drop gold nuggets
- Nether Sprouts – Generates in warped forests
- Quartz Bricks – Crafted from four blocks of quarts
- Respawn Anchor – Crafted with six crying obsidian and three glowstones. Can be used to create a respawn point in the nether
- Shroomlight – Generates in crimson and warped forests. Emits a light level of 15, like glowstone
- Soul Fire – Blue variant of fire
- Soul Soil – Generates in soul sand valleys and can be used to create soul fire
- Twisting Vines – Generates in warped forests and can be used to climb
- Weeping Vines – Generates in crimson forests and can be used to climb
- Chain – Crafted with iron ingots and iron nuggets
- Lodestone – Crafted with one netherite ingot and eight chiseled stone bricks, allows you to set a compass to point back to it
- Netherite armor and tools – crafted from diamond armor and tools using neterite ingot
- Netherite Ingot – Crafted from four netherite scraps
- Neterite Scraps – Created by smelting ancient debris in a furnace or blast furnace
- Pigstep Music Disc – Obtained in bastion remnant chests only, music composed by Lena Raine
- Snout Banner Pattern – Obtained in bastion remnant chests and used on a loom to create a banner with a pig snout pattern
- Soul Campfire, Lantern, Torch – Blue variant of similar item
- Target – Redstone item that is activated by shooting it
- Hoglins – Hostile mob that spawns in crimson forests and drops raw porkchops
- Piglins – Can be hostile, adults attack players who are not wearing at least one piece of gold armor, babies are passive. Piglins can be bartered with by dropping a gold nugget infront of them. They spawn in crimson forests, nether wastes, and bastion remnants
- Strider – Passive mob that spawns on lava oceans and can be rode using a saddle and warped fungus on a stick
- Zoglins – Zombified variant of the hoglin that is creater when a hoglin spends 15 seconds in the overworld. Zoglins attack most mods on sight (but not creepers)
- Basalt Deltas
- Crimson Forest
- Soul Sand Valley
- Warped Forest
- Bastion Remnants – Built from blackstone, these are the homes of the piglins
From the Caves and Cliffs (part 1) update
Related: minecraft gold farm tutorial
We’ve been working hard over the summer and we hope it shows! Not only did we bring the nether update but we have also included the exciting updates from the first part of the Caves and Cliffs update. Here are some of the highlights.
- Amethyst Bud and Cluster – Generates in amethyst geodes, grows from bud to cluster (the final stage)
- Azalea – A bush like block that can be planted
- Copper – Generates in the overworld and mined with a pickaxe. Copper can be smelted and crafted into building materials. Overtime, copper oxidizes and changes to a turquoise-green color
- Calcite – Generates between smooth basalt and amethyst
- Cave Vines – Generates in caves, emits a light level of 14 and drops glow berries
- Deepslate – Generates between heights 0 and 16 and can be used like stone in recipes and crafting
- Dripleaf – Leaf that allows an entity to stay on it for 1.5 seconds (30 ticks) before the entity falls off
- Dripstone – Stalactites and stalagmites found in caves
- Glow Lichen – Naturally occurring light sources found in caves, gives off a light level of 7
- Moss – Found in caves and can be used to craft mossy stone blocks
- Powder Snow – Snow variant that allows entities that walk on it to sink
- Tinted Glass – Glass variant that that is transparent but doesn’t allow light to pass through
- Amethyst Shard – Obtained from amethyst clusters and used to craft tinted glass and spyglasses
- Copper Ingot – obtained by smelting raw copper
- Glow Ink Sac – Dropped by glow squids and used to craft glow item frames and to make text glow on signs
- Glow Item Frame – Item frame that appears to glow when places, doesn’t affect the light level though
- Lightning Rod – Crafted with three copper ingots, redirects lightning withing a 64-block radius and generates a redstone signal when struck
- Spyglass – Crafted with two copper ingots and an amethyst shard, used to see a zoomed in view
- Axolotl – Passive mob that spawns in underground water sources.
- Goat – Spawns in mountain biomes
- Glow Squid – Spawns in water sources (including underground water sources), drops glow ink sac
- Amethyst Geodes – Found underground and contains amethyst
40 person multiplayer
In this update we have increased the number of players able to join a hosted world from 30 players to 40 players.
Photos as Items
Photos can now be saved from a portfolio as an item. Just like other items, you can place the photo in an item frame to be hung on your wall. This makes for a great way to capture, display, and share things from your world. You can also use anvils to rename the photo and they can be added to book and quills and other portfolios.
Example of photo on an item frame and in the off hand
To save a picture to your inventory, select the Save to Inventory button from the Portfolio.
To add a photo to a Book and Quill, select the Add Photo button from the Book and Quill.
Reusable code for python
Content creators can add pre-made libraries of codes to lessons and if enabled, students can save their own custom code libraries for reusing code across a whole project.
Renamed categories for Starter Worlds, Build Plates, History & Culture, Equity & Inclusion, Literacy & Language. Plus, a new category: Climate & Sustainability!
Structure Block Updates
New options to “load” and “save” structures for reusing builds in other places or different worlds. Due to this new functionality, structure blocks have been removed from the creative inventory and are now only available using the /give command (for example: /give @s structure_block).