Some Minecraft PC players are reporting that they end up seeing the ‘Unable to save download‘ error after the game fails to update itself. This problem is confirmed to occur with multiple game versions across a wide array of computer configurations.
When troubleshooting this problem, you should start by ensuring that the game launcher runs with administrative access (it need it in order to override old game files with new versions).
If you already made sure that the Minecraft launcher had admin access, see if you have installed any program that is known to cause incompatibility with this Mojang game – Bytefence and Reason Security are most commonly reported for causing the ‘Unable to save download‘ error.
However, if you’re encountering this problem on the Java version of Minecraft, you will need to ensure that you’re running the latest Java end-user version to avoid the apparition of this error.
Method 1: Opening Minecraft as administrator
As it turns out, this problem can also be the result of a permission issue caused by the fact that the Minecraft application doesn’t run with admin access. This problem was confirmed by several affected issues, and it seems like the game needs admin access in order to download and override game files.
Related: how to set waypoints in minecraft
To open Minecraft with admin access, simply right-click on the executable that you use to launch the game and click on Run as Administrator from the newly appeared context menu.
See if this operation is successful and you are able to update your game without receiving the same ‘Unable to save download‘ error.
In case the issue went away, you can make this change permanent and ensure that this launcher always has admin rights by default when you open it. To do this, right-click on it and choose Properties from the context menu. Next, go to the Compatibility tab and check the box associated with Run this program as an administrator and click Apply to save the changes.
In case this method didn’t work for you, move down to the next potential fix below.
Method 2: Uninstalling ByteFence or Reason Security
As it turns out, one of the most common culprits that will end up causing the ‘Unable to save download‘ error is are 2 3rd party program called ByteFence and Reason Security. This is a legitimate anti-malware software, but Minecraft users have reported that it conflicts quite severely with Minecraft.
Unfortunately, there is no confirmed way (yet) that will allow you to keep using this anti-malware and play Minecraft – so you’ll need to choose between the two.
Note: If you don’t have any of these programs installed, you might be dealing with a different kind of incompatibility. Check out this link (here) to see a full & updated list of programs that are known to conflict with Minecraft.
In case you want to fix the ‘Unable to save download‘ error on ByteFence, you will need to uninstall Bytefence completely. Follow the instructions below to do so:
- Press Windows key + R to open up a Run dialog box. Next, type ‘appwiz.cpl’ inside the text box and press Enter to open up the Programs and Features menu.
- Once you’re inside the Programs and Features menu, move over to the right-hand section and scroll down through the list of installed programs until you manage to locate Bytefence (or Reason Security).
- When you manage to locate the program you wish to uninstall, right-click on it, and choose Uninstall from the newly appeared context menu.
- On the next screen, follow the on-screen prompts to complete the uninstallation process, then restart your computer to complete the operation.
- Once the next startup is complete, open Minecraft again and see if the ‘Unable to save download‘ error has been fixed.
In case you’re still encountering the same issue, move down to the next potential fix below.
Method 3: Installing the latest Java version
In case you’re using the Java version of Minecraft, you need to ensure that you’re running the latest version of Java. Several affected users that we’re encountering the same issues have confirmed that the ‘Unable to save download‘ error was resolved completely after they installed the latest end-user version of Java.
If you’re not exactly sure on how to do this, follow the instructions below:
- On your default browser, access this link (here) and click on the Java Download button. At the next screen, click on Agree and Start Free Download.
- After the next Java Setup is downloaded, double-click on it and click Install at the first prompt to begin the installation.
- Follow the rest of the on-screen prompts to complete the installation of the latest Java version.
- Once the operation is complete, restart your computer and launch the game once the next startup sequence is complete to see if the ‘Unable to save download‘ error.