How to Use the Op Command in Minecraft
This Minecraft tutorial explains how to use the /op command with screenshots and step-by-step instructions.
The /op command is used to give a player operator status. When a player has been granted operator status, they can run game commands such as changing the gamemode, time, weather, etc (see also /deop command).
Let's explore how to use this game command.
The /op command is available in the following versions of Minecraft:
PlatformSupported (Version*) Java Edition (PC/Mac)Yes Pocket Edition (PE)Yes (0.16.0) Xbox 360No Xbox OneYes (1.2) PS3No PS4Yes (1.14.0) Wii UNo Nintendo SwitchYes (1.5.0) Windows 10 EditionYes (0.16.0) Education EditionYes
* The version that it was added or removed, if applicable. NOTE: Pocket Edition (PE), Xbox One, PS4, Nintendo Switch, and Windows 10 Edition are now called Bedrock Edition. We will continue to show them individually for version history.
To run server commands such as the /op command, you have to first create a multiplayer server in Minecraft and be the operator of that server.
How to Enter the Command
1. Open Server Console or Chat Window
To run this type of command, you must either open a server console or chat window, depending on your version of Minecraft:
- For Java Edition (PC/Mac), open a server console. Use Command Prompt in Windows or Terminal on a Mac.
- For Pocket Edition (PE), tap on the chat button at the top of the screen.
- For Xbox One, press the D-Pad (right) on the controller.
- For Nintendo Switch, press the right arrow button on the controller.
- For Windows 10 Edition, press the T key to open the chat window.
- For Education Edition, press the T key to open the chat window.
2. Type the Command
In this example, we will give the player named DigMinecraft operator status with the following command:
In this tutorial, we have entered the command in PC/Mac as a server command (see below). In other versions of Minecraft (such as PE, Windows 10 and Education Edition), you can enter the command in the Chat window:
You should see the message “Opped DigMinecraft” appear in the server console. Once the command has been entered, the “opped” player will be allowed to run game commands on this Minecraft server.
Congratulations, you just learned how to use the /op command in Minecraft!
Other Server Commands
Here are some other server commands you can use in Minecraft:
Other Game Commands
You can use other commands and cheats in Minecraft such as: